A side effect is an effect which occurs when a medication(Diazepam) does more than target the specific area of the body to bring about its therapeutic benefits. For pharmaceuticals to gain approval by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the U.S, or any similar organisation in another country, they are required to undergo extensive testing and clinical trials.
This research has to be directed toward the efficacy, safety and reliability of the medication. But, furthermore, the adverse effects of the medicine have to be evaluated as well. These adverse events must be listed in the medication guide or patient information leaflet (PIL).
The FDA urges patients to be forthcoming about the side effects of different pharmaceuticals as it provides useful information pertaining to the safety of the medicament.
In most cases, the severity of side effects is known to worsen in situations where there is non-compliance to the recommended guidelines of usage. This can be done by not taking the medication as instructed or using dosages greater than those prescribed.
According to many patients, diazepam side effects are typically mild in severity, but this can be more severe in circumstances where the medication is used more frequently than it should.
How to Classify the Side Effects of Valium
Some adverse events are more likely to occur than others, and so side effects are classified based on their probability of occurring in a patient administering the therapeutic. No two patients are alike and so the way in which a medicine can affect a person is likewise, different.
The probability of side effects can be classified as:
- Very common: greater than (or equal to) one in ten people
- Common: between one in ten and one in 100 people
- Uncommon: between one in 100 and one in 1000 people
- Rare: between one in 1000 and one in 10 000 people
- Very rare: less than one in 10 000 people
The information contained in the PIL is merely a guideline of the possible side effects that can occur, and is not a definitive indication that a particular adverse event will occur. The PIL is, furthermore, a list of the known side effects that occur with the administration of the medication. It is not an exhaustive list and further side effects, unbeknown to the manufacturer, can occur.
Not every side effect is undesired or negative, some side effects can be beneficial, albeit unintentional, consequences of a using a particular medicine.
Valium Side Effects and Reactions
An adverse event is one which occurs during therapy, but does not necessarily have a direct relationship with the medicament. An adverse reaction, on the other hand, has a direct relation to the medicine during treatment.
Adverse Reactions can be classified as:
- Dose-dose reactions: these are interactions which occur with the medication at either the normal dosage or an elevated amount of therapeutic administered.
- Non-dose-related reactions: an adverse reaction which occurs at any administered dosage
- Time related reactions: these are reactions which occur when a medication is used for a prolonged period of time, but which does not necessarily accumulate under normal conditions.
- Dose and time-related reactions: these interactions occur based on dose accumulation and prolonged administration.
- Withdrawal reactions: the undesired effects resulting from the discontinuation of treatment
- Unexpected failure of therapy: when a medication is known to increase or decrease in an unexpectedly undesired way.
A possible adverse reaction to this anti-anxiety medication is an allergic reaction. These can be mild in severity or more complicated for those who are severely allergic to the ingredients in the therapeutic.
Mild cases of hypersensitivity to a medicine can be seen as hives, rashes and itchy skin or eyes. More severe allergies involve restrictions to the respiratory system, and it is in these cases that one discontinues treatment immediately and seeks emergency medical services.
Common Side Effects of Valium
- ‘Spinning’ sensations: this is also referred to as vertigo, and feels as though you, or the world around you, is spinning. This sensation is a feeling of being off balance and can be eased by sitting in an upright position and tilting your head in a 45 degree angle, in the direction opposite to where you may be experiencing the vertigo. You should remain in this position for at least 30 seconds and then repeat this exercise in the opposite direction.
- Constipation: constipation can set in when there are infrequent bowel movements and the passing of stools becomes difficult. In general, bowel movements less than 3 per week in frequency can be regarded as constipation. Increasing the intake of fibre-rich foods can help relieve the discomfort of this side effect. Adequate hydration is also important for managing constipation.
- Fatigue: this is a term used to describe the intense feeling of tiredness. Fatigue is not the same as feeling sleepy but can be regarded as a complete lack of motivation to do anything. Eating small, frequent, energy-boosting meals can help effectively relieve these intense feelings of tiredness.
Do the Side Effects of Diazepam Affect Everyone the Same?
It is not known exactly how a side effect will affect person, but Diazepam is thought that adverse events tend to be more severe for older persons than younger individuals. This is due to the increased sensitivity of the elderly to the ingredients of a medication, and this hypersensitivity can be related to the pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of a therapeutic.
- Pharmacodynamics: these are the physiological and biochemical effects of the medication. Seniors are prone to heightened side effects as the aging process brings about physiological changes in the elderly, resulting in different pharmacodynamic actions of the medicine.
- Pharmacokinetics: this refers to the activity of the medication in the body, over a certain period of time. Seniors normally have decreased hepatic and renal functioning as compared to younger people, and this can affect the elimination of the therapeutic from the body. If the medication accumulates in the body of an elderly person, enhanced adverse events are likely which can thereby affect the daily functioning of the patient.
Senior citizens are advised to use medicaments with caution, and specifically at lower dosages to minimise the risk of heightened Valium side effects.